03 July 2018

The adventure begins!

It's been slow progress to Stockholm, my first destination!  Leaving home at 7pm on Saturday 30 June, I spent the night at Rydges at the airport to prepare for a 6am departure!  Made it to the airport at 3am, booked in at 3.10am only to find that Customs and Immigration don't open until 4am.

No mistaking the view from my room at Rydges
The flight from Sydney to Dubai was very comfortable in my Emirates "pod"!
Arrived in Dubai about 2pm (their time) on Sunday and was accommodated for the night at Le Meridian near the airport.  Very comfortable but the plans for a swim were thwarted as all the pools were outdoors and it was over 40 degrees.  With the constant changes in temperature and pollution in Dubai, I've finally succumbed to the usual asthma...nursing myself through the next couple of days until the tour commences.

Monday saw my flight between Dubai and Stockholm.  Dubai is really the most enormous airport!  After checking through Customs and Immigration, it was a 15 minute walk to the departure lounge but what a misnomer as it's then a 20 minute bus ride to the plane!  It's like going back in time as the plane is out in the far reaches of the airport without an airbridge in site...so up the stairs we all scramble!

Flying over new terrain, I spend my time gazing out the window and watching the flight information. Todays musical choice was Mahler's Symphonies!

Not the Moon but East Azerbaijan!
Nizhneleninskoye, Russia
Five nights at an "on trend" hotel, The Downtown Camper, described as "the ultimate base camp to explore the city"!  Bikes, skateboards, longboards and kayaks are available for loan...think I'll stick to walking. Maybe because the rooms are on the small and dark side, "campers" are encouraged to "hang out" in The Nest Rooftop Lounge with great views of the city's spires!